Friday, April 5, 2013

Mock Croc Decoupage

I have been going back and forth on what to do with this table I picked up for $50 from a hotel furnishings reseller. 



It's not intended to be a desk but a console table. (In the meantime, I'm still on the lookout for the perfect kidney shaped desk.)

My choices to date have been to paint or not to paint? I'd narrowed the selection to either glossy white or glossy black from Glidden's Trim & Door Paint. I've heard rave things about this product but, in the end, I wanted something more than just a paint or stain.


Enter decoupage. There are so many great examples of decoupaged furniture, both whimsical and haute design. Some designers use fabric, others paper, some a combination of both. Others incorporate paper and fabric with a painted finish. Here are some of my favorites:

Wallpaper Toile Decoupage
Byronie Porter bryonieporter.com 
Homes and Gardens, bhg.com
Origin Unknown, from Pinterest
Origin Unknown, from Pinterest
For several years, I've wanted to decoupage something larger than a jewelry box. I've come across some wonderful fabrics that I thought would be great, including a black/taupe houndstooth, from Hobby Lobby.

DEC- Black & Off White Houndstooth Decor Fabric

But it's rather heavy and I'm afraid it wouldn't lay flat against the vertical surfaces. 

In the meantime, I've been searching for a paper that would be stylish, eye catching and wouldn't cost a lot of money. There are a lot of beautiful papers out there and my usual go-to source is Binders off Piedmont in Atlanta. However, today at Joann's I found this terrific contemporary green mock croc paper for $1.99 per sheet. I got 10 sheets (their entire stock!) The paper is approximately 12x12 and as you can see, is highly textured and very, very shiny. The paper is made in Thailand.



To begin the process, I started by lightly wetting the paper to make it more maleable. See how it folds around the raised edges of the table. The Modge Podge is the key to making this work. And, it's great because the paper hasn't lost its texture or any of it's shine. I'll know when the Modge Podge dries and will keep you up to date.  I sure hope those abutment lines fade out when this dries.  I was afraid this would happen because the paper is not very wide or very long.




(What would the DIYer do without Modge Podge and chopsticks?!?)

*Pinterest photos do not link back to the original post so the origin of a couple of photos here remains unknown. If you know, please share the info with me and I'll update.

No comments:

Post a Comment