Thursday, February 21, 2013

What Makes a House a Home?

A chair is still a chair
Even when there's no one sitting there
But a chair is not a house
And a house is not a home
When there's no one there to hold you tight,
And no one there you can kiss good night.

A room is still a room
Even when there's nothing there but gloom;
But a room is not a house,
And a house is not a home
When the two of us are far apart
And one of us has a broken heart.

...
Songwriter(s): Hal David, Burt Bacharach
Copyright: Sony/Atv Harmony, Casa David Music
I don't know who sang it best -- Dusty Springfield, Shirley Bassey, Dionne Warwick or Luther (no last name necessary). I simply love this song, although admittedly Luther's version remains my all-time favorite.
 
Often when I look at the rooms of professional designers, there's no indication that the space is a home.  Yes, there are beautiful houses created by very talented people.  But, where are the photos of family, the pets, the memorable occasions? Where are the grade school projects that remind us of how quickly the years pass?

Several times throughout the week, I get my e-copy of Traditional Home, showcasing some of the most beautiful rooms I've ever imagined.  Perusing the pages of Traditional Home is one of the things I look forward to each day.  Although a lot of folks are addicted to pinterest, I prefer to save copies of the photos on my desktop and savor them at leisure.

Earlier today, I ran across this room.  The designer is decorator and designer Joanna Poitier, wife of venerated actor and civil rights crusader Sidney Poitier.  It is IMHO, an unequivocally stunning room. 

Take a moment and look closely at Joanna Poitier's desk and what do you see?  There are photos of her family proudly displayed, yet this is a true working office, not a showroom to be ooh'd and ahh'd over.  There is proof here that you can have a stunning room with a bit of personality proudly displayed. 




Photograph: Edmund Barr
Designer: Joanna Poitier  

This house is truly a home!  The rest of the Poitier home is equally stunning, including an art collection that will likely blow your socks off.  See it all here in Traditional Home, including sources for the furnishings and fabrics.  

Add this home to the ever growing list of my favorite things!




No comments:

Post a Comment