Friday, February 22, 2013

Another of my Favorite Things

I absolutely adore the style and craftsmanship of the old-school Duncan Phyfe cabinet and furniture makers.  But, not all DPs are real DPs.  Learn more about Duncan Phye here and here. To learn how to tell the real DPs from the fake, read here.

You can find Duncan Phyfe pieces (and reproductions) for sale just about anywhere including Ebay or craiglist. Interestingly the prices are higher in the North and on the East and West coasts!  I wonder ... is a couch more valuable because bottoms North, East and West have occupied the space?




I recently spied this Duncan Phyfe sofa on Craigslist (Atlanta). Here's the URL if you're interested: fwbkb-3565103693@sale.craigslist.org. BTW: I haven't seen this piece so I don't know if it's an original or a talented reproduction.  Caveat emptor!

At first glance, this looks like something to pass up particularly because the upholstery on this sofa is not my favorite. It's not even in the top 100 fabric choices for me. But, upholstery is a quick change. 

You might wonder what I could possibly like about this sofa. Well, look closely at those clean lines and that gorgeous, exquisite, extensive nailhead trim! And, just take a gander at the gams on this dame. Legs are to die for!

If I possessed the matching pair I covet I would: (a) darken the wood -- I'm thinking deep mahogany and (b) recover in a natural duck cloth.  I like the formality of the lines, but I want to be able to curl my feet up without worrying about destroying the fabric.

My favorite blogger -- renewredo.blogspot.com -- recently scored her own DP. I can't wait to see what she does with it.  Check out the rest of Sammi's blog when you can b/c she's got mad DIY decorating skills.

Sooner or later, I will own two of these darling little sofas. In the meantime, I'll keep searching craigslist for a matching set of these exquisite gems.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment