Thursday, January 31, 2013

Paint or Fabric? A Redo Dilemna

I love to cruise thrift stores. Rarely (much to my sweetie's consternation), do I come away empty handed. I could say it's because I like recycling but the truth is, I always find good, quality vintage pieces one makeover away from gorgeous! IMHO today's furniture is flimsy and doesn't have the good 'bones' of vintage pieces.

Take a peek at my latest find, straight from a decorator's staging house to mine, and for less than $30 for the pair. I picked them up at the Salvation Army the other day during their 1/2 off sale. And they are perfect, no stains, no smells no snags.

Tah dah!

Here's a closeup of the fabric. You can see there's some texture. 







One idea for a makeover is this houndstooth from Hobby Lobby. BTW: Hobby Lobby carries two houndstooth fabrics; one for lightweight clothing and the other for upholstery.  This upholstery weight fabric is black and cream, not black and white, as it photographs.





But, then I ran across this tutorial for painting upholstery at Little House In the Big D which is cheaper less expensive than new fabric. My favorite color these days is a cool gray from Ace Hardware, called Smooth Slate #5042. It's a sophisticated neutral that is neither too masculine nor too feminine.

Stay tuned for the big reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment