Thursday, September 26, 2013

Taking Time to Be Me

((Does anyone read this blog or is it just an exercise in self-indulgence?))

I really enjoy writing, whether for pleasure, simple musings, writing letters to my daughter, blogging or tweeting and in my profession as well. It satisfies a call deep within my soul when I write. Putting words together, telling a story, painting a picture, sensing a mood, conveying love, pain, laughter, light and dark. 

My daughter insists I was born to write. And, I agree with her. 

I was first published at 13, in the NY Amsterdam News. My literature teacher celebrated my accomplishment as did family and friends. But I didn't read much then so I never entertained the idea of writing as a career. 

As a journalist, I had the most fun when I wrote for newspapers. Even when writing my TV scripts or for the talk shows I hosted, writing for print stands head and shoulders above.

There is something exciting and intimate about picking up the paper to read what's been written. I get to (once again) savor a well-turned phrase. And, since I usually read at the local coffee house, no one knows it's me they're reading. It's a bit self-indulgent to enjoy one's own writing but I confess I do. 

I use Lamy fountain pens when I write.  I started using Lamy while at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism and they've been my go to pens since then. The pens come in a beautiful array of colors:
www.fountainpennetwork.com

 This is the exact pen I use.  I also have the roller ball pen and matching pencil, as well.

www.fountainpennetwork.com
There's not much more to this post except to say ... I'm checking out for a while ... taking time to write the book that's been on my brain and in my heart since forever.

I wish my reader(s) peace, love and soul!







No comments:

Post a Comment